Lentil and Yogurt Salad

It’s no secret that parents find themselves doing things that they wouldn’t have expected of themselves before having kids.  Today alone, I patiently explained to my kids over and over why they couldn’t play with a ball that they’d thrown into the chicken yard (it was covered in chicken poop), calmly told my one-year old to take a huge rock out of her mouth (we were inside; where did that come from?), and rejoiced along with my three year old when we found a small stuffed toy that she was desperately looking for (it was stuffed down into her pants leg, of course–yes, that’s right, the leg of the pants that she was wearing).

Today our entire family also attended a preschool “graduation” ceremony celebrating the fact that our three-year-old had finished this year of preschool…and will be starting another year of preschool in the fall.  Is that crazy?  I definitely would have thought so before becoming a parent.  And I guess I still think it’s a little bit silly now.  But you know what?  It was just darling to see her pride and excitement as her class filed in, to hear her voice ring out above the others as she belted out the word “chrysalis” in a song about a butterfly, and to see the smile on her face as she accepted her “diploma,” posed for a photograph, and then sprinted to us, beaming.  And even if it’s making too much of a not-much milestone, I love to see my girls learning to love school, which I know will serve them well in life.

Afterwards, we stayed for the school picnic.  I brought this salad, but don’t be fooled into thinking that the kids even tried it–they had sandwiches instead.Lentil-Yogurt Salad:  Wash and chop a big bouquet of greens and herbs.  I used a big handful each of arugula and chives,  a hefty sprig of mint, and small handful of cilantro; finely chopped, these made about 1 ½ c. of greens.  Scoop about 1 c. greek yogurt into a bowl and season it with a splash of olive oil, a few generous pinches of salt, and the juice of a lemon.  Stir in the chopped herbs and about 3 c. cooked lentils or mung beans (I used a combination).  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Sprinkle with chive blossoms if you have them in your garden and serve alone or with lettuce cups for scooping.

About these ads

21 thoughts on “Lentil and Yogurt Salad

1. musingmar

One of my favorite photos is my oldest daughter at her Kindergarten graduation … Frilly dress, mortarboard and pride, celebrating her accomplishment. Thanks for bring back that memory! And, what a good occasion to eat lentils. Your salad sounds yummy!

1. emmycooks Post author

My oldest just finished kindergarten as well–instant nostalgia! I know it’s been said before, but I really can’t believe how quickly they grow up. Good thing it just keeps getting better and better!

1. emmycooks Post author

Thank you so much for the nomination! I am especially honored because I love The Plum Palate website so much, both your writing and your food. I feel like we are cooking kindred spirits!

2. Sarah

Love the kid stories! I once had a group of 3rd grade boys in my yard, all playing football on a nice, warm spring day. One boy (not my son) came to the door and asked if they could wash the muddy football in the bathtub! I absolutely said, “No,” and then had to call my husband to laugh about it. Interesting the way their minds work, sometimes.

3. Desi Chick

Those are great kid moments and the salad isn’t too shabby either! It does go by alarmingly fast, this whole raising of kids. I was eating a salad with my daughter yesterday and watching Mission Impossible: Ghost protocol when we both said out loud, “that Jeremy Renner is cute.”…. and I thought to myself, I couldn’t even imagine this day when she was a toddler and here we are. (Eating salad and commenting on the cuteness of an actor). Every stage has been a blast and food has been a running theme throughout our relationship. Guess what? Stuff they won’t eat now, they will actually sit down and enjoy with you later! :) BTW, did you treat the arugula more as an herb instead of a green?

1. emmycooks Post author

Oh, how sweet. As these baby moments pass, I console myself by thinking about how much I will love these kids for the rest of my life. :) Yes, I’d say I used the arugula more as an herb here, although it’s a fine line and I like to blur it: arugula pesto! Broccoli pesto! Parsley as a vegetable in tabbouleh! Etc.

4. baconbiscuit212

This looks like a terrific salad for the summer. Yogurt and lentils? Yum!

And chive blossoms are soooo pretty. Sometimes, it’s a little sad to trim them off since they are the most gorgeous color of purple. But it must be done. In the name if om noms :-)

1. baconbiscuit212

It’s pretty much exactly that! Chive blossoms in coconut vinegar. I did two weeks in the fridge instead of three on the countertop so the color isn’t as pretty. It taste delicious thought!

And what a great blog! Thanks for introducing me to it!

5. Erina

Lentil yogurt might honestly be a bit farther than I’m willing to go, but I love the story of the highly missing stuffed animal, rescued in a pant leg.

1. emmycooks Post author

If you are skeptical about the yogurt-and-legume combination, give the yogurt-and-chickpea salad at Poppy a chance sometime (it’s on the bar menu). We like to go after 9 for the late happy hour naan-wiches, and that salad is great with the veggie ones. :)

6. Jessica

This looks delicious! We LOVE lentils and yogurt already – adding the greens just seems like a natural, fresher progression. Can wait to try it.

1. emmycooks Post author

I came at it from the other direction–I have been putting yogurt-and-herb sauces on everything, so it was using it on lentils that was the innovation. And a good one, if I do say so myself! :)